We all know the traditional application of the archimedean screw pump where water is pumped up from a lower to a higher level. The reversal of its function provides an efficient means of saving energy. The main advantage of a screw pump is that it is taylor made to the specific installation and therefore extremely efficient for a wide range.
The new range of the Landustrie screw pump covers the hydropower screw. An efficient use of water power is already achieved at a level difference of 1 meter and a capacity of 500 l/sec. The largest capacity and level difference for hydropower screws is as much as 15000 l/sec. at 10 meter.
Benefits of hydropower screws:
- highest efficiency (up to 86%)
- simple installation
- easy implementation in existing situations (no civil construction work)
- extremely fish friendly
- insensitive to clogging
- low maintenance costs
- long life time
- improvement of water quality
- 24/24 energy supply
- active flow control without extra losses
- possibility to switch over to pump function
- self-regulating to changing water flow
3D animations by: Lex de Prieëlle & Johnny Roek
Here is how archmiedean screw turbine micro hydro works.